Friday, June 6, 2008

Sex and the Shitty?

Yes, that's a bad pun, but the "Sex and the City" movie - unseen by me, and so it will stay - seems to deserve nothing less. James Berardinelli claims that the film's funniest scene is a now famous stomach-incident. That this is the funniest scene is a new low for films directed at women. Jim Emerson has fuelled my anti-"SatC", anti-materialist fury with his recent post available at http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2008/06/sex_and_the_city_girls_do_poop.html.
Emerson does a good job of placing the film in the context it deserves, which is scatalogical adolescent entertainment. Says Emerson:
"I don't know any women (grown-up or otherwise) who liked the show or plan to see the movie. At least they're not telling me about it".
I cannot say the same.
And Emerson, to my joy, also addresses the "fashion" that the show and now the movie are renowned for:
"[T]ake a look at that hilarious 'flower' Sarah Jessica Parker is wearing ... Not unlike one of those enormous 'power bows' attached to the front of polyester business suits worn by Dress For Success career women in the 1980s."
There you have it. Thanks Jim.

No comments: